FACULTY/STAFF > STUDENT ENGAGEMENT TRANSCRIPT (SET) > ARTS, CULTURE AND CREATIVITY
Arts, Culture and Creativity
This category includes experiences in which students explore the human potential for creativity in the arts, music, dance, drama or creative writing. As they give concrete expression to ideas, the arts represent an ideal marriage of theory and practice, while developing an aesthetic understanding of the world around us. The activities that satisfy this category may be creative in concept, expression or participation. The activities may be visual art, electronic and digital media, poetry, musical compositions, performance art, or the presentation of original creative writing; the interpretation of artistic forms, as when the artist performs or executes an idea originally developed by someone else, for instance directing a play, performing a dance or musical piece, or interpreting literature orally; and participation in exhibitions and other arts presentations as critical viewers, as when student scholars attend and reflect, critique, or interpret cultural events.
Examples of opportunities for the Arts Appreciation Portfolio
Examples and Criteria
Activities in this category must occur under the direction of a faculty member. Students can satisfy the requirement for this category in one of two ways:
1. Public performance/Publication/Participation, such as:
- Acceptance and/or presentation of student creative work in a cultural event including, but not limited to: art exhibitions, design competitions, media and film festivals, poetry readings, conferences,
- Acceptance and/or publication of a piece of student creative work by one of the following mediums: journal, compilation, newspaper, or campus publication,
- Participation in a theater, art, musical, literary or other cultural event including, but not limited to: acting, singing, dancing, playing a musical instrument, set designing, or arts fundraising,
- Receiving special recognition or an award for student creative work.
2. Completion of an Arts Appreciation Portfolio, which requires that students attend at least five (5) cultural events and submit corresponding critiques/reflections. Cultural events can include, but are not limited to:
- Art openings,
- Film festivals,
- Musical, dramatic and literary performances,
- Cultural /creative conferences.
Getting SET Category Approval
Beginning with the Fall 2014 semester:
To receive SET approval for the Arts, Culture, and Creativity category, students can submit the activity through their Sentry Secured Services account.
Log into account and click on Submit SET Activity under Academics: Sentry Secured Services. The RMU SET Guide to Submitting an Activity gives step-by-step instructions on completing this process.
Please note that only authorized University faculty and staff may approve a submission. Only authorized approvals will be processed.
Students that have participated in an Arts, Culture and Creativity activity may submit their experience through the online submission process.
Arts Appreciation Portfolio
Students that have attended an Arts Appreciation Portfolio activity may submit their experience through the online submission process.
Please note that the supporting reflection/critique should be given to the faculty member prior to online submission of activity. Students should also notify faculty member before submitting a SET activity requiring faculty approval. Any current faculty member may serve as a faculty sponsor. Approval of activities in this category lies at the discretion of the faculty sponsor. Some faculty sponsors may require students to get pre-approvals prior to the completion of activities. Students should check with their faculty sponsor to see if pre-approval is required. Once the activity has been submitted and approved/denied, the student will be notified of the status by an automated email.
The category will be considered satisfied when students have completed either the Public Performance/Publication/Participation option OR the Arts Appreciation Portfolio option. Students may submit Arts Appreciation Portfolio activities as they are completed, but they will see the Arts Appreciation Portfolio activities listed on their SET only after a minimum of five activity approval forms are received.
*If a student is part of a large group or class submitting the same activity to one faculty/staff member, please ask authorizing faculty/staff member his or her preference for submission of this activity. He or she may prefer to submit the activity as a group.
Questions should be directed to Samantha Moik, Engaged Learning Specialist at (412) 397-5973 or email@example.com or
Terri Byrnes, Assistant Director of Engaged Learning at (412) 397-6430 or firstname.lastname@example.org.